Saturday, January 17, 2009

A long time gone.




I didn't come back. It's not that I don't have anything to write, I do.
Not sure if any of it fits here. I miss my daughter. I wonder how she is every minuet...I see progress in my life, she doesn't. I see a change, for the better...

But my life still doesn't look or sound right. It doesn't feel normal.

...This hasn't happened to me in a long time... When I was a child, dinnertime was a time for reflection on the days events, a time to fess-up to mistakes made, a time for groundings, punishment, discussion. I felt our family was normal...Until, I spent some time with my friends. I got to see a happiness my family didn't know, an ease with life that seemed like a fairy tale. I saw, time and time again, how out of step my life was with the people around me. I promised myself when I'm grown, my life is going to have meaning, ease, rhythm, flow, fun...I promised myself that my life would be normal.

Tonight, as I ate dinner alone, I cried.

Sometimes as a child, when my heartfelt yearnings, for all that we didn't have as a family failed yet again to materialize I would cry...While taking a shower, while laying in bed, while walking to the school bus, while sitting in class, and while eating.

That happened tonight.

I am out of step with life. I am out of step with my friends, my peer group.

For a long time, I've been able to hide. I don't attend reunions. I have a close handful of friends... I still make friends easy, but I've stayed away from anyone I knew in high school...If I don't measure up, it's much easier to breath knowing none of them can see my failure...my inability to keep time, stay in step- with time.

All that changed for me recently.

I've allowed someone in. Someone from then, came into the me I've become. I'm grateful for her presence. I can't help but notice she is grateful for mine as well.
I don't have the freedom to move at her pace. She gracefully slows down, once in a while, to rest in the space I occupy...
We are both reminded in that quiet, how capricious human existence is.

I went on facebook, and allowed many more "of them" to find me.
I look into their words and pictures hoping to see something that reveals a messy, unkempt, out of step life.
Something that looks like my life, my fears, my failures. I'm face to face with the fairy tales again.

I'm confronted with a simple normal- one that I can't have, can't make, can't fake.

...So the crying in my dinner, I don't really have words to write, that can illuminate the dark moon side of my heart, for the sweet normal that's never a part of my life.


Tomorrow morning I will make toast and green tea.
With perhaps a slice of cheese, or an egg.

I will pray for normal. Pray for time, ask for rhythm, beg to be useful.


Hope that my friends are a little out of step, like me.

... I really dislike soggy toast.


-Renee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Renee, I know what you mean. With me it is more about careers...I don't want people who knew me in school to know what a professional failure I've become and why. One thing I have learned over time, though, is that a lot of the people who seem the most 'together', the families that seem the most 'normal' or 'happy' are often the most 'messed up'. It's not that problems don't exist so much as that they've become masterful at either avoiding dealing with their problems, or hiding them from the world. They can make everyone believe that their lives are perfect, but really be miserable. Seriously, some of them should be nominated for Academy Awards.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.