Sunday, June 8, 2008

Can you sit with the debris, and learn to love the pieces?





Hard times are a fact of life.
Life, with all of it's beauty,
often presents many challenges.

These challenges seem to test our faith, our emotions, our spiritual path, our finances, our sense of fairness, our mental health, our physical health, our relationships,
and our perceived foundations.
How do you cope?

How do you keep your feet walking the path, when the "winds of change" bend you to your breaking point? How do keep your focus, your trust, and your dignity?

How can you keep love in your heart for all the good that surrounds you daily?
How do you keep centered and "in the present moment"?
When is giving up-noble?

And, even if you stay focused-recognizing the goodness in life,
what happens when you fail, anyway?
When it all falls away, what keeps you sane...ready to try once more?

When it all falls away,
and all your coping skills fail,
and your spiritual practice can't hold you,
what then?

Can you sit with the debris and learn to love the pieces?

I want to know.

Because, here's what's real for me. I really tried not to let the anger in.
I so wanted to rise above the fray after experiencing, yet another, divine insult.

I will answer one of my own questions...Maybe that is a good place for me to begin healing.

When it all falls away, and all your coping skills fail, and your spiritual practice can't hold you, what then?
I hit this wall the first time when I was 28.
I had a nervous breakdown and tried to commit suicide.
I just hit the wall of -nothing working. Everything was broken.
I was too deep into a pit of despair.

I didn't think God could reach me where I was.

I was wrong, but it took 5 years of clinical psychology, behavioral therapy, and medication to bring me back to the land of the living.

Coincidentally, I am now 38, and am hitting another wall. I feel different this time. I feel alive, and awake, and pissed off.

Yes, I have a level of despair, and I feel I've been bent to the breaking point once again, maybe even worse now, because there is more for me to lose. I am not sure how I keep functioning.

I have wild hope that seem inappropriate.
(passing my National boards, and allowing myself to be loved, really loved.)

I have little faith in the world, but I have faith in me.

I see global, epic, unfairness and find myself barring my teeth, at my Goddess.

I am holding her at arms length, because I want to slap the crap out of her.

I see myself as a woman who has beaten incredible odds, only to be stopped short at this new finish line. And, I can't hold a Goddess tenderly, that would let me be beaten, when I have done the work to clean up my mess.


I did the work.

I did it well.

I needed her blessing.

I got another obstacle.

Well, that is just bullshit.

I find myself asking- why bother? why continue trying to make a difference when nothing I've done is enough to get my good intentions on her list- to be seen as one trying. I think my outrage at Goddess is a part of my healing. I also believe it is the reason why I will survive this latest blow. But, I am tired of survival. To me, there has to be more.


I don't give up- except for the one time I gave up completely.

I won't do that this time. There is too much at stake.

I worry however, even after I somehow make this "all work out", that I might lose some compassion for myself and consequently for others, because I am sick of being strong.


Sick of my best chances, my strongest endeavors, not meeting up with a universal
just response.

I continue to stand. That is the answer to the damn question.
I stand.
But, so what?
What does it mean to withstand, anything?


I am tired of always standing. I stand for many something's
I stand for truth, and for principle, and just because I can.
I stand for love, for honor, and, for giving a shit.

But right now, I'm going to sit.
Because, standing for all of it hasn't meant a damn thing.
Right now, I need to sit with the debris and learn to love the pieces.

Frankly, the pieces are all that's left.

-Renee


2 comments:

Summer Fey Foovay said...

Many hugs. I have so been there. And more than once. And every time I think - I can not get up and go on again. I am tired. I am broken. When I reached the point, at 25, when I felt no one loved me (including me), no one needed me, or wanted me except to use me - I made several suicide attempts, and in between worked on drinking myself to death. Yet, in spite of myself I kept loving and giving - but I had learned to give without giving up myself. When I had no hope at all, I finally stumbled over the love that was in my path.

This is a long post, with a lot to answer. I think perhaps the best thing I can tell you is this - it is the one thing that keeps me going. Count your blessings. Every single one, no matter how small. Every morning, every night.

A second thing. Give yourself credit for every single accomplishment, no matter how small. "I got up this morning, took care of my animals, and sat down to work (I work from home)" Okay, some mornings I get up, take care of my animals, and sit down to cry. I pat myself on the back for taking care of my animals! When I'm done crying, I chose another small task I can complete, and pat myself on the back for it. And for getting up from my crying chair and doing anything.

I am 48 now. Two years ago I thought I was hopelessly defeated - again. But right now, today, I am in a wonderful space. I am blessed in many ways. Not ways that some people would appreciate maybe. I don't own a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of - but I am blessed with love, and health, and peace and joy.

Learning to love the pieces - that's the place to start. Treasure each one. Even the bad memories - treasure them as a lesson learned.

I'm foovay from Beliefnet, BTW :D and I'll be by to check on you :D
Thank you for inviting me to your blog.

Blessedbe

amyjo57 said...

Your pain is real, your feelings are raw and you expressed them beautifully. Isn't it wonderful that Mother isn't co-dependent? She can handle our anger, questions and even our rejection without her love for us faltering for even a moment. I am in a similar place now, your courage is monumental and your honest heroic. You are needed in this world. amy/red